KNCSB Annual Meeting
The Kansas-Nebraska Convention of Southern Baptists will increase its giving to the national Cooperative Program by 1.5 percent in 2018.
This action came when messengers approved the 2018 KNCSB budget during the convention’s annual meeting. The meeting was held Oct. 9-10 at Webster Conference Center, Salina, Kan.
“2017 has been a great year both in ministry and giving,” KNCSB Executive Director Bob Mills told the crowd. The meeting drew 271 registered messengers and 48 visitors.
Mills praised the “faithful giving of churches to the Cooperative Program.”
The 2018 KNCSB budget totals $4,409,916. This is a decrease of about 1 percent below the 2017 budget.’
Thanks to churches’ faithful giving to the Cooperative Program, the KNCSB budget is on track to finish 2017 above its projected Cooperative Program receipts. If this occurs, 50 percent of the CP receipts above budget will be sent to the national Cooperative Program. This could total another one half of 1 percent, Mills told the crowd.
Messengers also spent considerable time discussing a proposed resolution asking Southern Baptist entity heads not to hold staff positions in local churches.
After thoughtful discussion from people who were for and against the resolution, KNCSB President Joe Stiles asked for the presidential prerogative to refer the proposed resolution to the KNCSB Executive Committee for further examination. This action required a motion and a second. After receiving both the motion and a second, messengers approved referring the proposed resolution to the Executive Committee. The committee will give a report at the 2018 KNCSB annual meeting.
In other activity, new officers elected were:
- President: Derrick Lynch, pastor of Blue Valley Baptist Church, Overland Park, Kan. He previously served as vice president for two years.
- Vice president: Voyt Lynn, pastor of First Baptist Church, Douglass, Kan.
Officers re-elected were:
- Recording secretary: Bryan Jones, pastor of Tyler Road Southern Baptist Church, Wichita, Kan.
- Assistant recording secretary: Susan Pederson, member of Prairie Hills Baptist Church, Augusta, Kan.
- Historian: Tony Mattia, pastor of Trinity Baptist Church, Wamego, Kan.
Future annual KNCSB annual meetings will be held:
- 2018—Oct. 8-9 at First Southern Baptist Church, Pratt, Kan.
- 2019—Oct. 14-15 at Parkview Baptist Church, Lexington, Neb.
- 2020—Webster Conference Center, Salina, Kan., with the date to be announced. (The KNCSB annual meeting will be held at Webster Conference Center every three years.)