Immanuel, Wichita, celebrates 100 years
Immanuel Baptist Church, located at 1415 S. Topeka in Wichita, is celebrating 100 years of service to the Wichita community.
Almost a century ago, on Feb. 14, 1910, Immanuel began as a mission of First Baptist Church, Wichita. It met in a store building at 1427 S. Lawrence Avenue (now Broadway).
By August 1916, the mission organized as a church and recognized 47 charter members, choosing the name “South Lawrence Avenue Baptist.” The church name changed to “Faith Baptist” when the street name changed to Broadway. Finally in May 1945, the church adopted the name “Immanuel Baptist.”
The church’s membership and facilities have grown under the leadership of 15 interim and full-time pastors, including Pastor Emeritus Dr. George D. McClelland who served from June 1945 to February 1957, and Pastor Emeritus Dr. John Click who served from February 1971 to February 1997. Current pastor Dr. Charles Boswell began his pastorate at Immanuel in August 2007.
The theme of the 100-year celebration is “Celebrating Our Past, Focused on Eternity” and will begin with a Celebration Sunday and Dinner-on-the-Grounds on Sunday, Feb. 14.
The community and former members are also invited to join the current membership in celebrating other anniversary events including:
- Men’s Golf Tournament on April 24
- Ladies’ event with Gracia Burnham on June 24
- Immanuel Night at the Wingnuts’ game in July
- Reunion Weekend events, Aug. 14-15, including a day of fellowship rallies, building tours, and a formal evening banquet on that Saturday and a Worship Celebration on Sunday, Aug. 15.