Sapps ask for prayer for Kenya
The continuing unrest in Kenya is a special prayer concern for veteran Kansas missionaries Jon and Priscilla Sapp.
Jon is the International Mission Board’s area director for Central, Eastern and Southern Africa (CESA). Priscilla is the region’s prayer coordinator. She writes:
“Thank you for continuing to pray for Kenya and the political unrest and tribal tension that have resulted after elections in December and have impacted all the countries in the region. Watching this Christian nation succumb to mistrust and tribal animosity has been disheartening.
“Please continue to pray that Christ, the hope of glory, indwelling the peoples of Kenya will make a difference in what people think, believe, say and do. Pray for missionaries and other believers that choose to make a difference as they minister to those hurting around them. Pray that as we hear the cries for mercy, our hearts will be moved with compassion and that God will use us to hear and touch others with the love of Jesus for their good and His glory.” Read more
Other prayer requests include:
- Central Section Strategy Leader Training, which was postponed due to the increase of tribal tension near the Limuru and Tigoni area of Kenya. “Many strategy leaders attending were from Tanzania and Uganda and it was decided that for the safety and security of these families, it would be better to do it another time. Pray for Tim Tidenberg and others as they plan when this meeting will be held.”
- “Feb. 25-29, 2008, are important dates for the CESA region. The Central, Eastern and Southern Africa Leadership Team or CESALT, including all strategy facilitators, treasurers, logistic coordinators and other key leaders, meets in Johannesburg. Praise God for the His leadership in the location of this meeting as Kenya might not have been a viable option this year. Pray for the strategy and administrative leaders that God’s Spirit would work in each person’s life to make them moldable clay prepared to hear from God. Pray for Jerry and Bobbye Rankin as they lead in Bible study and in workshops. Pray for the CESA committee of International Mission Board trustees, partnering churches, and others joining the meeting that all would work together for the expansion of God’s kingdom here. Following this meeting, the trustees will be involved in a number of different ministry trips. Pray for the planning of these trips and that God will use them to give the trustees a clearer picture of how their decisions impact work in CESA.
- “Theological Education has continued to be an important part in training the future leaders of Baptist churches in CESA. Many of those involved in and interested in African theological education will meet March 17-22 together to look at opportunities of strategically leading theological education to best equip African leadership to take responsibility for future training of leaders.
- “In 2008 the missionaries of Central, Eastern and Southern Africa will meet together in sectional meetings rather than at a local level. The Southern section will meet March 24-28 in Johannesburg. Begin now praying for the planning of this important time to equip, encourage, challenge and celebrate with the missionary personnel. The Central section will meet in July and the Eastern Section in July/August.
- “Singles serving in Central, Eastern and Southern Africa have special needs and will have the opportunity to spend time together March 29-April 1. Ask God to use the fellowship to encourage singles as they share and worship together. Pray that God will use this time to sustain singles to not to grow weary in well doing and return to where they are called with greater commitment and enthusiasm.”