Small church leaders urged to be ‘defined by the cross’
“Every leader in this room is in a crisis, coming out of a crisis or about to go into one,” Emil Turner told participants in the KNCSB Small Church Leadership Conference.
Turner is the retired executive director of the Baptist State Convention of Arkansas. He was the featured speaker for the KNCSB Small Church Leadership Conference Feb. 24-25 at Webster Conference Center, Salina, Kan.
He used the example of John the Baptist to help his listeners learn how to deal with crises:
- Be reassured that God is still working.
- Rejoice that God is working in other people’s lives even when you can’t see God at work in your own life.
- Don’t let the crisis define you—“you are defined by the cross.”
Turner also spoke on “10 Little Things” that make a difference in church leadership:
3. Know your Bible
4. Listen—give your full attention and don’t be thinking about how you will reply.
5. Demonstrate how you want people to live—when Turner was a pastor he took church members with him on hospital visits.
6. Eat with people
7. Show gratitude
8. Absorb the blows—turn the other cheek
9. Get excited about the right things
10. Start and end on time
The KNCSB Small Church Leadership Conference will not be held in 2018. Instead KNCSB will be participating in Advance 2018, a leadership conference sponsored by the Baptist state conventions in the Midwest. It will be held Jan. 23-25 at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Springfield, Ill. More information will be announced soon.